The club celebrates its centenary during the 2022/23 season having been formed in 1922 and has always been based at The Recreation Ground. However, rugby was first played in Ashington pre WW1 when 2 teams existed, Ashington and Ashington Hirst United both appeared to play at Lintonville near the town centre.
The outbreak of WW1 brought an end to rugby until the formation of the new club in 1922 and the commencement of regular fixtures in autumn 1923, the first recorded game in the local press being a 5-3 loss to Blyth on 20 October 1923.
After the 1922 formation the club continued to grow during the 20s and 30s regularly running 2 teams, and became well known for its post match teas, the players bringing “tea for 2” to home games as well as providing all their own kit. In 1933 the club also won its first trophy, The Northumberland Senior Shield. With the outbreak of WW2 rugby ceased.
Post war rugby restarted in 1945 with Stan Leithhead, sadly no longer with us being the catalyst.
By 1947/48 the club was regularly running 3 teams, and in 1948 Ashington had its first County President in Percy Bates, a founder member of the club in 1922.
The club got its first bar and club house in 1962/3 a wooden building, prior to this they drank in a local bar and in 1970 bought its now much extended club house, which was originally the colliery policeman’s cottage.
During the 80s and 90s the club continued to grow, regularly running 5 senior teams on a Saturday, the growth in the club was reflected in first team winning NE Division 2 in 1995 and the second team winning the Northumberland Senior Shield in 1996. In 1997 the club also benefited from the creation of 2 additional rugby pitches at “The Rec”
Post 2000, despite winning the Northumberland Senior Plate on 3 occasions between 2000 and 2010 and the 1st team going unbeaten during the 2007/08 season the club like many other clubs suffered a decline in playing numbers. The decline had reversed prior to the pandemic, numbers had begun to steadily increase with the club regularly putting out 2 full Saturday squads plus a Friday night veterans team. We also had a number of mid week ‘return to rugby ‘ fixtures.
The club’s youth numbers continue to grow and now has a full compliment of teams from U6s -U14s training and playing on Sunday mornings, with our next priority to develop a colts side. We have a budding women’s and girl’s section training on a Friday night.
This summer sees the start of our inaugural midnight 7s tournament with 20 men’s and 8 women’s teams involved and we’re currently exploring the option of walking touch rugby for over 50/55s.
New members are always welcome and our active social media pages keep players and members informed and are the easiest way to make contact with the club.
The club house development has continued and sees the club regularly hosting external functions this has helped the club maintain its solid financial basis and the club is proud of its community roots with its 3 year plan reflecting its ambition to continually improve both on and off the field whist remaining a voluntary run, community club with a tradition of generous hospitality .